For full publication list and citations see Google Scholar
Ten Selected Publications
§ = corresponding author, † = Equal contribution
- Li B, Tester M, Gilliham M (2017) Chloride on the Move. Trends in Plant Science http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tplants.2016.12.004
[IF:14.7, 2/204 Plant Sciences]
Invited review: Outlines recent research highlights in the control of chloride transport to the shoot and related salt tolerance mechanisms.
- Li B, Byrt C, Qiu J, Baumann U, Hrmova M, Evrard A, Johnson AAT, Birnbaum KD, Mayo GM, Jha D, Henderson SW, Tester M, Gilliham M, Roy SJ (2016) Identification of a stelar-localised transport protein that facilitates root-to-shoot transfer of chloride in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 170:1014-29
[IF:8.0, 8/204 Plant Sciences]First molecular identification of a channel responsible for direct root-to-shoot chloride transfer in plants.
- Ramesh SR†, Tyerman SD†, Xu B, Bose J, Kaur S, Conn V, Domingos P, Ullah S, Wege S, Shabala S, Feijó JA, Ryan PR, Gilliham M (2015) GABA signalling modulates plant growth by directly regulating the activity of plant-specific anion transporters. Nature Communications 6: 7879
[IF:11.9, 3/57 Multi-disciplinary Sciences] Altmetric:87 ESI High Cite. First identification of the mechanism by which GABA can act as a signal in plants.
- Munns R, Gilliham M (2015) Salinity tolerance of crops – what is the cost? New Phytologist 208: 668-673 .
[6/204 Plant Sciences, IF:7.8] ESI high cite, ESI Hot Paper.A new well-cited synthesis of mechanisms of crop salt tolerance
- Guan R†, Qu Y†, Guo Y†, Yu L, Liu Y, Jiang J, Chen J, Ren Y, Liu G, Tian L, Jin L, Liu Z, Hong H, Chang R, Gilliham M, Qiu L. (2014) Salinity tolerance in soybean is modulated by natural variation in GmSALT3. Plant Journal 8: 937–950 [IF:7.0, 10/204 Plant Sciences] Altmetric:49. Identification of a novel mechanism of salt tolerance in soybean that influences geographical distribution of soybean in China.
- Munns RJ†, James RA†, Xu B†, Athman A, Conn SJ, Jordans C, Byrt CS, Hare RA, Tyerman SD, Tester M, Plett D and Gilliham M (2012) Grain yield of modern wheat on saline soils is improved by ancestral HKT gene. Nature Biotechnology 30:360-364
[IF:38.3, 2/163 Biotech. & Applied Microbiol.] ESI High cite, F1000.
Reintroduced genetic diversity improves wheat grain yield under salinity; spans breeding, molecular biology, electrophysiology and fieldwork.
- Michard E, Lima PT, Borges F Silva AC, Carvalho JE, Gilliham M, Liu L-H, Obermeyer G, Feijó JA (2011) Glutamate-Receptor-like genes control pollen tube Ca2+ influx and morphogenesis. Science 6028:434–437 [IF:35.2, 4/57 Multidisciplinary Sciences, citations: 144/126] (Cover) ESI high cite, F1000.
First in planta demonstration that GLRs encode depolarisation-activated Ca2+ channels. Isolated knockout plants, analysed electrophysiology, co-wrote.
- Conn SJ†, Gilliham M†§, Athman A, Schreiber AS, Baumann U, Moller I, Cheng N-H, Stancombe MA, Hirschi KD, Webb AAR, Burton R, Kaiser BN, Tyerman SD and Leigh RA (2011) Cell-specific vacuolar calcium storage mediated by AtCAX1 regulates apoplastic calcium concentration, gas exchange and plant productivity. Plant Cell 23:240–257
[IF:10.5, 4/204 Plant Sciences ESI high cite, F1000.
First demonstration that mesophyll-specific vacuolar calcium compartmentation controls leaf cell wall calcium concentration, which regulates leaf productivity; co-conceived project.
- Conn SJ, Gilliham M (2010) Comparative physiology of elemental distributions in plants. Annals of Botany 105:1081–1102
[IF:3.4, 26/204 Plant Sciences] ESI high cite.
Highly cited review outlining the importance of cell specific processes in plant nutrition and stress tolerance
- Møller IS, Gilliham M, Jha D, Mayo GM, Roy SJ, Coates JC, Haseloff J, Tester M (2009) Shoot Na+ exclusion and increased salinity tolerance engineered by cell type-specific manipulation of Na+ transport in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21:2163–2178.
[IF:10.5, 4/204 Plant Sciences, citations: 261/178] ESI high cite, F1000 Recommended.
First direct in planta demonstration that HKT1 retrieves xylem Na+. Designed and performed electrophysiology and cryo-SEM, co-wrote.