- Corbin KR, Hsieh YS, Betts NS, Byrt CS, Henderson M, Stork J, DeBolt S, Fincher GB and Burton, RA (2015) Grape marc as a source of carbohydrates for bioethanol: Chemical composition, pre-treatment and saccharification. Bioresour Technol, 193, 76-83.
- Ermawar RA, Collins HM, Byrt CS, Betts NS, Henderson M, Shirley NJ, Schwerdt J, Lahnstein J, Fincher GB and Burton RA (2015) Distribution, structure and biosynthetic gene families of (1, 3; 1, 4)‐β‐glucan in Sorghum bicolor. Journal of integrative plant biology 57: 429-445.
- Byrt CS, Xu B, Krishnan M, Lightfoot DJ, Athman A, Jacobs AK, Watson‐Haigh NS, Plett D, Munns R and Tester M (2014) The Na+ transporter, TaHKT1; 5‐D, limits shoot Na+ accumulation in bread wheat. The Plant Journal 80: 516-526.
- Milne RJ, Byrt CS, Patrick JW and Grof CP (2013) Are sucrose transporter expression profiles linked with patterns of biomass partitioning in Sorghum phenotypes? Frontiers in plant science 4.
- Martin AP, Palmer WM, Byrt CS, Furbank RT and Grof CP (2013) A holistic high-throughput screening framework for biofuel feedstock assessment that characterises variations in soluble sugars and cell wall composition in Sorghum bicolor. Biotechnology for biofuels 6: 1-13.
- Grof CP, Byrt CS and Patrick JW (2013) Phloem Transport of Resources. Sugarcane: Physiology, Biochemistry, and Functional Biology: 267-305.
- Byrt CS, Betts NS, Farrokhi N, Burton RA and Singh B (2013) Deconstructing plant biomass: cell wall structure and novel manipulation strategies. Biofuel Crops: Production, Physiology and Genetics: 135.
- Munns R, James RA, Xu B, Athman A, Conn SJ, Jordans C, Byrt CS, Hare RA, Tyerman SD and Tester M (2012) Wheat grain yield on saline soils is improved by an ancestral Na+ transporter gene. Nature biotechnology 30: 360-364.
- Byrt CS, Cahyanegara R and Grof CP (2012) Plant carbohydrate binding module enhances activity of hybrid microbial cellulase enzyme. Frontiers in plant science 3.
- James RA, Blake C, Byrt CS and Munns R (2011) Major genes for Na+ exclusion, Nax1 and Nax2 (wheat HKT1; 4 and HKT1; 5), decrease Na+ accumulation in bread wheat leaves under saline and waterlogged conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 2939-2947.
- Byrt CS, Grof CP and Furbank RT (2011) C4 Plants as Biofuel Feedstocks: Optimising Biomass Production and Feedstock Quality from a Lignocellulosic PerspectiveFree Access. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 53: 120-135.
- Kibble NA, Sohani MM, Shirley N, Byrt C, Roessner U, Bacic A, Schmidt O and Schultz CJ (2009) Phylogenetic analysis and functional characterisation of strictosidine synthase-like genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Functional Plant Biology 36: 1098-1109.
- Byrt CS and Munns R (2008) Living with salinity. New Phytologist 179: 903-905.
- Byrt CS, Platten JD, Spielmeyer W, James RA, Lagudah ES, Dennis ES, Tester M and Munns R (2007) HKT1; 5-like cation transporters linked to Na+ exclusion loci in wheat, Nax2 and Kna1. Plant Physiology 143: 1918-1928.
Caitlin likes examining the biology of plant traits that influence crop quality and quantity. She studied a B. Agricultural Science (Hons; 2000-2004) and a PhD in Plant Science (2005-2008) at the University of Adelaide. During her PhD Caitlin identified and characterised genes for salinity tolerance in wheat, supervised by Rana Munns (CSIRO Plant Industry) and Mark Tester (Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics). Caitlin then joined the Plant Science Group at the University of Newcastle (2008-2011) working on sugar transport and cell wall biology in Sorghum. In 2011 Caitlin returned to the University of Adelaide and joined the ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Cell Walls. In 2014 Caitlin was awarded the Edith Dornwell Medal for Early Career Research Excellence, and she joined the ARC CoE in Plant Energy Biology to work on a project, jointly supported by the ARC CoE PEB and the Grains Research and Development Corporation, characterising salinity tolerance traits in wheat. In 2015 Caitlin was awarded an ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award and a South Australian Tall Poppy Award.
Teaching: lectures and practicals for Masters in Plant Biotech (2007, 2011-2014); Biomolecules undergraduate course (2009-2010).
Societies: Australian Society Plant Scientists, American Society Plant Biologists.
Salinity tolerance in wheat
Sodium transport proteins
Phloem transport of resource
Sucrose transport proteins
Carbon partitioning in sorghum
Manipulation of plant cell wall traits
Plant physiology and molecular biology
Awards & Achievements
2015 Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
2015 Australian Institute of Policy and Science SA Young Tall Poppy Award nominee
2014 University of Adelaide Edith Dornwell Medal for Early-Career Research Excellence
2011 Journal of Integrative Plant Biology Best Expert Review Article Award (Byrt et al. 2011 JIPB)
2007 Award for Excellence in Team Research, CSIRO Plant Industry Chief’s Award.